Content marketing has developed into one of the critical tools at the disposal of marketers over the years. In this article, we’re looking at the factors that are influencing it in 2022. While stakeholders may have shied away from investing in it before, content proves to be a long term solution that is recession-proof.
Content in 2022
Before we delve into the specifics, content should always these consider these 3 things:
1. The Audience
Know exactly who you are talking to and what they are looking for. It will enable you to answer the right questions using the correct keywords. The bigger picture: Created content needs to in alignment with other marketing campaigns - content that fails is often that which is solely produced for the sake of it. Time: Content marketing takes time to yield results, with time sensitivities attached to its production, including providing regularly updated versions.
- The audience: Know exactly who you are talking to and what they are looking for. It will enable you to answer the right questions using the correct keywords.
- The bigger picture: Created content needs to in alignment with other marketing campaigns - content that fails is often that which is solely produced for the sake of it.
- Time: Content marketing takes time to yield results, with time sensitivities attached to its production, including providing regularly updated versions.
Furthermore, its content serves 3 essential purposes:
- Navigational: To help people understand the question at hand, as well as how your business can provide the best solution for it.
- Informational: Most notably of the 3, people should feel as though they are attaining value and unique insight when consuming your content as this means their needs/desires have been satisfied.
- Transformational: Good content, combined with good website design, should drive action by means of the viewer taking the next step, whether that be exploring your site more or becoming a lead.
2. Recession-proof Marketing With SEO
Marketers know all too well the importance of optimising content. In 2022, that is going to become even more critical. Those who have mastered content marketing win the confidence of stakeholders, who have previously shied away from investing in it, finding its justification difficult.
Investment in content has been minimal because it is not an exact science - unlike other marketing efforts, one cannot accurately predict how content will perform, and it is known to take longer to generate results in comparison to, say, social media advertising. However, as times of financial difficulty experienced by the world lately, the content has proven its importance.
During a recession, businesses have to cut costs, with marketing budgets often being the first to be slashed. As companies did this, many noticed that even though their advertising spend had decreased, they were able to maintain their levels of website traffic. The reason for this is SEO and the fact that content, when done right, can hold its own and speak for itself. It keeps your content steadily growing over time.
That said, content marketing remains a risky bet for many who have not yet jumped on the bandwagon. However, recent years have shown otherwise, especially in its ability to provide recession-proof marketing results. If you’d like to calculate the ROI of your content, read our blog post on how to do so here. It includes working out your cost of production and conversions. This can assist you with gaining buy-ins, as well as determining reasonable budgets for your content marketing strategy.
3. The State of Content Marketing
Content is varied - it can refer to all sorts of multimedia productions by your business or brand. Diversifying your abilities will do you well in 2022, with video, in particular, being the critical medium for high rates of growth and engagement. Consider content as your communication with your audience, in all forms, whether that be internal communications, social media activity or contributions made as a guest. Since this form of marketing is so effective, businesses should be working on providing various touch points where meetings with their audience are possible, from textual emails and blogs to auditory podcasts and webinar specials.
These are the essential tips and trends to note for content in 2022:
- Quality is non-negotiable: Providing and producing quality is no longer a USP - it is an expectation. High levels of quality must be maintained, as well as the ability to tell stories with your content effectively.
- Distribution matters: Where you decide to showcase your content is vital, so mastering the best possible scheduling and automation are necessary. Additionally, the customer experience while consuming your content is paramount.
- Reporting must be conducted: As a recession-proof marketing technique, one must continually measure the data received on your content. This will allow for strategic testing and improvements to occur.
- Account-based marketing: Knowing your audience in-depth is the only way to effectively personalise the experience for them, in line with general marketing trends. This will ensure that you produce content that meets their needs effectively.
- Become a content leader: Evaluate your competition and ensure that you deliver the best possible offering to your audience among the lot. This not only refers to the substance but the ability and scale as well.
To Wrap it All Up
Content has proven itself to be a recession-proof form of marketing, which will change how stakeholders view and invest in it. Furthermore, content producers need to keep in mind the key considerations and purposes of content in 2022.
Let us help you with your content.
We at Nexa have a knack for good content marketing. We can help you with all of your digital marketing needs - get in touch with us to get started.